Sharepoint version 2003 that is Windows Sharepoint Services or WSS 3.0 come with WMSDE if you choose to install in Basic Mode and Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007 or MOSS gets SSEE installed incase you choose the Basic install that is with SQL Database Server
Now as we know both are the free versions of SQL but there is a diffrence between them.
Lets Focus on WMSDE for the Moment
- MSDE is based on SQL 2000 technology WHILE SQL Server Express is based on SQL Server 2005 technology.
- MSDE 2000:--Operating Systems:--MSDE 2000 is designed to run on the following operating systems:--
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with Service Pack 5 (SP5), or later
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 with Service Pack 5 (SP5), or later
- Microsoft Windows NT version 4.0 Server Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 5 (SP5), or later
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
How to Obtain MSDE 2000:--
Additionally, you can obtain Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) Release A from Microsoft Download Center. To download Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) Release A, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=413744D1-A0BC-479F-BAFA-E4B278EB9147
What are the limitations of MSDE?
1--An MSDE database can be no larger than 2 GB (this includes MDF and NDF files only — log sizes are not included in the size limit)
2--MSDE does not ship with GUI administrative tools such as Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer.You can take the SQL Server install CD, run it on the client(s), and choose "Install client tools only" during setup. This will install Query Analyzer, Enterprise Manager, and other useful tools.
3--MSDE does not offer OLAP / data warehousing capabilities.
Features of SSEE:
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
- Windows XP Service Pack 2
- 4 GB per database (not including log files);
- Common language runtime (CLR) integration, -
- New data types such as VARCHAR(MAX) and XML, user-defined types, and user-defined aggregates are supported.
- SQL Server Express databases can attach to SQL Server 2005, and applications programmed with a SQL Server Express instance will work equally well with a SQL Server 2005 instance.
- data mirroring and clustering are not available;
- full-text search is not available;
- SQL Agent is not available (you can use Service Broker or Task Scheduler instead);
- Reporting Services is not available;
- Business Intelligence is not available (this includes Notification Services and Analysis Services).
The link to download Express Edition of SQL is